Thursday, April 2, 2009

honored but....

Yesterday was an exciting day for me. Actually it's been building all week. I was the confirmation sponsor of one of my boys. I spent the earlier part of the week getting some nice new shoes, a new suit shirt, found a tie that went wonderfully with the blue in the suit, and ALMOST got my hair cut. I was actually on my way to doing it, but returned home due to heavy rain and the mrs being out with the free gift card I was going to use. NOTE I still looked "dressed to kill", even without the haircut LOL. So as far as a gift for him, I thought it was appropriate to get him a holy medal to wear. Instead of going the route of getting the saint he chose for his confirmation name, I decided to get him the patron saint of musicians medal. I think it's much more appropriate, based on his talent and interest in the guitar. I think he appreciated the gesture. I was BEAMING at the ceremony! Poor kid was a bit frazzled before hand, and had no clue where I was to sit etc, NOTE - he shares my frazability gene :(. I'm honored he chose me, especially because as kids get older, I find they aren't as close to you as they were when younger. It's a concept and fact of this life I struggle with very often...
So the ceremony was nice, AND I am a very proud parent. Then came reality LOL. At home afterwards, he was all upset because he didn't get all kinds of envelopes and money so he could run out and get an XBOX... A reminder of how kids think I guess. My beter half did a very good job of reasoning with him as he stood there all upset thinking he had been slighted. Amazing considering she was the one P!$$ed at his attitude as the evening was wrapping up. I was a bit less patient and in a polite but relatively direct way reminded him the night was about recieving the Holy Spirit, NOT about getting stuff. KIDS.....

No comments:

Post a Comment