Wednesday, March 24, 2010

a reason to run

My entire athletic life I've always done it for me, always focused on the PR, or beating my brother LOL. Then something happened about a year or so ago. My LPM (Long time Personal Manager LOL) needed help preparing for a half marathon. She always has done a number of 5ks each summer, but now wanted to step up to bigger things. It became an hour or so of good quality long runs on Sundays. Time just for us. YES the pace was slow, and at times I felt like I could be keeping up with a brisk walk. Then it happened, I no longer cared how fast the pace was, I focused on how she was doing, then it progressed. She ran into a number of injury, and fitness related hurdles. It then became something much bigger. I developed a training regimen for her. Cross training activities, weight training plans, pep talks, the whole shabang. It's been a good experience for me to share my knowledge, its been a great opportunity to add something for us to do together. Last weekend I ran the Shamrock shuffle with her. I was not running for me, I was running WITH her. Encouraging and motivating her when necessary. We crossed the finish line holding hands, and it BETTER have been photographed! So FORGET about the finish time (55:08) or the pace, or the placing. I was there for her, and approach the whole experience as a selfless act, a way to give back, and it's been a GREAT addition to our relationship. It's wonderful to see her develop as an athlete, and make her own personal strides. It will be interesting to see where this goes, if I were to guess I'd venture to say Triathlons?. Considering how she is ALWAYS there for me, and has been a silent $ponsor to my years of bike related expenses for the last 20 years, it's the least I can do. I will no doubt find a few interesting runs to do on my own, but I'm commited to helping here every step of the way regardless of pace ;) It's one of my lifes purposes, and thanks to her I've realized it's value...
Allez
Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment