Thursday, January 29, 2009

for the love of the bike

Today is a special day for me. I have worked VERY hard this past year in an attempt to get hold of what I consider the most beautiful, and magical ride there is. A number of years ago I sold off the one I owned because my kids were at an age that I needed to be around a significant amount of time for all the wonderful activities that come with having little ones. There was simply no time to race/train, and I walked away - COMPLETELY by choice. I don't regret it. I still am active with my boys but the time commitments have changed. I had also become ill around 2004 and the last thing I ever thought was that I would need to even have a bike. The ill years were scary beyond belief. I can't even describe it.I thank God that I managed to get thru those dark scary times. Fast forward to August of this year. I spent the summer riding again and managed to find very good legs as the season progressed, I managed to ride EXTREMELY well when I had the opportunity to ride with racing friends. By the end of summer I managed to ride time trial tests equalling my best times from the late 90's. One thing led to another and I stumbled upon "the ride" in the most beautiful paint scheme I could imagine; WHITE with the world champion rainbow stripes. The cost of the bike was a steal compared to what it retails for. Still costly to say the least. I made a deal that I would buy it and NOT touch it until I had the money to cover the $$$$ I spent on it. It has sat in the basement since August. My goal was to cover the cost with hard earned bonus money at the end of the year, and today I finally can say that it is mine. I'm OH SO GREATFUL to own one again, and as I have been adding parts to it, it looks like this will be my greatest ride. I was true to my word and did not touch it, I'm proud of myself for remaining commited to what I promised. It's VERY close to being completed, it looks beautiful, and my winter conditioning program has me feeling VERY VERY good from a fitness standpoint. I thank GOD for this blessing and look forward to the roads in so many ways. Look for pictures very soon
Allez!

No comments:

Post a Comment